Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Answer these questions & bring it into work to go over with the manager.

What held you back?
What do you think you did wrong?
What do you think you need help with?

Great. So not only am I under surprise attack, I have to write an essay stating why I think I suck. Except, everyone that I work with (minus the manager) doesn't think I suck.. oh, & neither do I. & actually, I think the problem is with my manger, & the approach to this "situation", & not me. But how do I say all of that professionally, while still getting my message across, & ensuring that I could still use them as a reference because it's the place I've worked at the longest? I dont' know.
I really don't know.

Well, here it is:

“What held you back?”
With only a couple days a week & always being put on register, really the only thing holding me back is opportunity. Last Saturday (February 7) when we had people from other stores help cover ours, the shift supervisor said that he was really surprised that after 6 months I still hadn’t gotten much bar time & that he didn’t get it. I don’t either. I know I’m not the best at barring, knowing exactly what goes into every one of our drinks, or being the fastest, most efficient bar person… but from what everyone’s been telling me, the only way to get better at something is to just do more of it. I can’t work more on the bar when I’m automatically & constantly tied to a register. You mentioned that I don’t have any confidence, but how can I have confidence in something that I do if the people around me don’t think that I can handle it & never give me a chance to grow? Last week honestly felt like one of my best & it’s because I was actually given a chance to prove myself.


“What do you think you did wrong?”
I don’t feel like I’ve done anything wrong, & to be honest, this entire situation comes to me as a surprise. In December I asked you if I was doing something wrong because I noticed that I didn’t have that many hours. At the time, you told me that I was fine & that it was just my limited availability. The next month, after I gave a completely open availability, I asked you if I should look for a second job because I noticed that I was getting even less hours. You then, at the time, said that it might be a good idea if I do because you were trying to cut labor. But now, it’s entirely different, & there are supposedly all these problems with me. I just feel that if there were things that I needed to work on, especially things that now directly affect my employment, they would have been mentioned before, back in December, when I asked if I was doing something wrong.
I’ve talked with supervisors & coworkers & not a single person has shared the frustration mentioned at our meeting early last week. So it’s a little confusing when trying to understand polar opposite opinions.


“What do you think you need help with?”
I just need help with opportunity; you’re in control of how much I grow.

No comments: