Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Plan

The plan is that I have no plan.

Well, sorta. I'm not ready to make a life defining decision when I haven't experienced life yet. I'm going to get my Associates Degree first (that's one thing I have that's certain), but then after that, I think I'm going to "cool down" with school, and the pressure to figure my life out. I don't even know who I am right now, how can I plan a future for myself? School takes a lot of commitment and I can't give my 100% (to a program) unless I have a lot of confidence. I actually enjoy the learning process, and it's not something I want to rush through just to get a letter grade out of. I want things to actually stick and sink in. I want to be able to take what I've learned and be able to apply them to different aspects of my life. Everyone always says that at this age we're young, dumb, naive, and immature. Why would you trust us to make the biggest decision of our lives right now? There's more than one right way to do something, and I feel that the best thing for me to do right now (and by "right now" I mean after I get my AA) is to explore my options. Maybe taking a quarter, or 2, or year off from school (and just working full time) will help me realize what I want to do. Maybe I'll realize that "my place" is to be at school, or that it's just not the right time to be at school and continue working. I still want to take like 1 class while I work full time though, just to keep my brain going. But things I want to take/learn, things I'm curious about, things that'll help me find out more about myself and my world around me--but at my own pace, and without the pressure of a program (and "YOU NEED A 3.7 OR BETTER OR YOU MIGHT AS WELL AS GIVE UP ON LIFE AND START OVER YOU FAIL!"). I feel that this is the time in my life where I need to realize that I'm my own person, my life is my life, and that I am the one who's in control.

That's the plan.

No comments: